Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Mya.. what??

When I had Jocey, I couldn't lift my hands over my head. I couldn't get plates from the cabinet or even wash my hair in the shower. When I would give Jocey to Jeremy, I had to cradle her.. anything over 5 lbs was too heavy for me.

When we got pregnant with Jaelle, I continued to work out so that I could lift my arms thinking they would be strong so I could lift Jaelle up and reach the top shelves of our cabinets.

Yeah-- that didn't matter. 

Right after my mom arrived in Durham, I began speaking as if I was congested, so we thought I had a sinus infection. But then-- my speech became slurred and I was having trouble swallowing food and drink. We saw a Physician Assistant, who prescribed an Antibiotic..that didn't work. We continued seeing Dr after Dr until my Soror, who is a Nurse Practitioner, examined me and told me that something neurological was wrong. We saw a neurologist and referred us to a team of Neuro-Musclar doctors who got it right. They diagnosed me with Myasthenia Gravis (MG)--  a chronic autoimmune neuromuscular disorder that is characterized by fluctuating weakness of the voluntary muscle groups. A lot of medical jargon, right?

My nerves and muscles stop talking. They don't communicate.
My nerves and muscles sometimes are too tired to function.

My doctors have treated me temporally with PlasmaPheresis- a treatment where blood and cells are separated and replaced to boost my immune system. These treatments are 2.5 hours and can be draining. But, like I said, this is temporary. My doctors, Dr. Massey (love her!!) and Dr. Guidon suggested two courses of long-term care (steroids or a thymectomy). After speaking with a Thoracic Surgeon, Jeremy and I decided we will have the thymectomy which removes the thymus gland from my body. I could go on and explain all of this but the post would get too long-- so visit http://www.myasthenia.org/ to learn about the disease, the foundation, etc. The procedure will be done Tuesday, March 12 at Duke. Jeremy will update via text and fb.. in the meantime, pray for the doctors and their skilled hands, my stay at the hospital, Jeremy and our girls, who have been so amazing and patient during this process and for my mother-- who is feeling the burden of being away from her only child during this time.

Thank you for praying for me and our family during this season. While I feel pretty good most days, other days and conversations can be a little difficult. Keep us lifted folks-- we know God is a healer and can make me whole completely!

Stronger,
~Mrs, G


No comments:

Post a Comment